Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Help! I need somebody; Help! Not just anybody

So friends! My life is good, you know? I mean, I am one seriously lucky girl. I have an amazing man, a wonderful family, fantastic, funny and beautiful friends (yes I'm talking about YOU!), a job I adore even on the bad days, and to top it off, having lived in four countries in the last five years, I think I can call myself a world traveler!

So, time to give back, yes?

Awhile ago (like, several months ago now) I started looking in to some volunteering opportunities. There were a few I was interested in, mostly because they had to do with kids, but I decided to try something new and more out of my comfort zone. I checked out http://govolunteer.ca and let me tell you friends, the list of opportunities is exhausting. Who knew so many people needed help? And that they'd need such interesting help? Did you know you could be an arts and crafts volunteer? Or help supervise bus outings? Or even be a troubadour? Yes, really!

I applied to be something called a Vision Mate. I'll be volunteering with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, and basically what I'll be doing is visiting a blind person in their home, maybe reading to them or helping them sort out their mail, helping them run errands, and just basically visiting. I completed my training last weekend, and let me tell you, I can't wait to start. And friends, it's so easy to get involved! They pair you with someone in your area because they want to make it as easy for you as possible, which is great for me, Ms. Public Transportation. It sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to give back a couple hours a week. Apparently some vision mates and their clients end up becoming life long friends. And really, who doesn't want a new friend?

Anyway, if you're at all interested in doing some volunteer work, here are a few sites to check out.
So go already! Get involved!

Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment