Tuesday, May 4, 2010

In which I get all literary on you


So guess what friends? Since I'm such a geek, I've been having a great time working on #23 on my list - "Read 75 of the top 100 modern novels (as passed on to me via a Facebook note)". I'm actually making pretty good progress, though I have to admit I'd read some of them long before this note came to me. But, I wanted to share an amazing discovery I've made with you. Are you ready?

Charles Dickens, author of Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, and A Tale of Two Cities, was funny. Yes, you heard me, FUNNY!

Ya know, if they'd told us that in high school I bet there would have been a lot less people automatically hating English class. Ok, maybe not a lot less, but a few less anyway.

Really though guys, Dickens has been a revelation for me. I started reading Oliver Twist with the expectation that it would be a good story if I could get my head around the dry writing style, but Dickens was not dull and boring. The only way "dry" is an apt description of him is if you're talking about his dry wit. The guy was downright sarcastic, wickedly clever, and very, very entertaining.

I expected to finish the book and breathe a sigh of relief. Instead I've been thinking, in the words of his most famous character, "Please sir, can I have some more?"

P.S. Here's the photo credit...

No comments:

Post a Comment