Monday, July 26, 2010

In which I set myself yet another challenge and get all of you to help

So this art thing? It's hard. I get discouraged easily because it's difficult to make the drawing on the paper match the vision in my head. I'm not very patient with myself. But you know what? It's time I said "enough of that." So I've set myself a new project. I'm going to aim for fun, uncomplicated, easy practice, and I'm going to do this by making my own postcards. There's not a lot of room on those cards so I should be able to manage it, right? No limits except my imagination, no pressure to make it perfect. I mean, they aren't something you keep forever. I once read a lovely book which said that postcards were like an early version of text messages - dashed off quickly and usually without a lot of thought. So maybe I'll try my own, but with more thought. At least for the drawing.

And friends, here's where you come in. If you'd like me to send you a postcard, email me and ask! Make me do this by sharing it with you!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! One summer, when The Ex and I were long-distance, I decided to stay in touch with him by drawing him a few index cards' worth of stuff every day. One or two random themed cards, though, turned into eight or ten cards a day of intricate storylines and pretty detailed (for me) drawings. One of the most fun projects of my life!

    I love the infinite creativity we can wake up by making ourselves fill small, blank spaces. Love your project, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a lot of fun so far. Long distance sucks hey? The mister and I did it for a year before I finally got the money together to visit him. But then I guess it wasn't that bad for us since we started out as penpals so we weren't really used to seeing each other. Now that's a long, weird story.

    ReplyDelete