Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why my city is better than yours

Have I told you how much I love my city? Because I really, really do. I live in Vancouver (the one in Canada thank you very much!), and am privileged enough to live downtown, right in the heart of all the action. No, not that kind of action... well maybe that kind. I do live near what is apparently Vancouver's oldest strip club. But the less... let's call it controversial kind of fun too - the kind where I can step out my front door on any given day and find all sorts of cultural festivals, street performers, outdoor movies and other general awesomeness. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I've been dealing with some stuff, and ya know, that kind of emotional burden can get a girl down. Which is why I love this city so much! Nothing beats getting off the skytrain (that's monorail or subway for you out-of-towners) after a hard day's work and seeing what's going on in this crazy city of mine.

One of my favorite things about living in a big city has got to be the buskers. Vancouver's got the best buskers I've come across, even beating out Dublin with it's interesting mix of limbo-ers, living statues, and guys dancing the tango with life sized dolls (yes, it was as creepy as it sounds). Lately I've been lucky enough to catch a few really great local musicians, some of them with pretty unusual acts. Last week I stopped to watch a guy singing Pearl Jam songs while accompanying himself on the cello. Unusual mix right? But it really worked. Today I ran across a two man band called Sons Of Granville. Their self described music style? "Rock and classical got drunk and had a baby". It was pretty great, friends. They interacted with the crowd and had lots of energy, and their sound was really infectious. Since they seem to be a new band I can't find any Youtube clips to post like I usually would, so I'll just direct you to their MySpace page, here. I'm loving all their music so far but my favorite has got to be their self-titled song, Sons Of Granville. Friends, do yourself a favour and go check them out. They are part of what makes Vancouver so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment